Author Topic: Dozier Dome Background  (Read 4916 times)

eric

Dozier Dome Background
« on: September 18, 2007, 12:00:49 PM »
Jeff Dozier did the first routes on what has come to be known as Dozier Dome.   He disapproved of this name and suggested an alternative, Lebrado Dome, for Maria Lebrado, the granddaughter of Chief Tenaya and last surviving member of his tribe.

Jeff is now teaching at UC Santa Barbara.

dozier

Re: Dozier Dome Background
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 11:07:25 PM »
Eric is correct. We originally suggested Lebrado Dome as an appropriate name that reflected Tuolumne Meadows history. However, the alliteration of "Dozier Dome" was too attractive to the Tuolumne climbing group in the early 1970s, and this name made it into Tom Gerughty's binder and thence the Reid-Falkenstein guide. A few times I tried to describe the location of Lebrado Dome, only to get the "Oh, you mean Dozier Dome" response.

Now nearly forty years later, I like the name! It's not as grand as Salathé Wall, Reed Pinnacle, or Pratt's Crack, but they were more important to the development of Yosemite climbing than I. When people learn there is a dome in Tuolumne named after me, they treat me more respectfully, as least for a day or so. This is good.

I spent most of the summers of 1970-72 working on my PhD thesis -- on channel morphology in gravel bed streams, using the Dana Fork for the measurements. With a variety of partners (Eric Beck, Steve Thompson, TM Herbert, David Green, and my cousin Lance Dozier) I did many of the Dome's routes that are in the Reid-Falkenstein guide, though nothing harder than about 5.8. I thought we had put these into Gerughty's binder, but there was just a single copy of the binder, so some route descriptions were lost (e.g., Marmot's Revenge on the cliffs above the southeast side of Tenaya Lake).

When TM Herbert, Steve Thompson and I did Holdless Horror, from the approach walk the crack appeared to be smooth -- climbable but maybe difficult -- then we discovered there were holds inside the crack! TM said he always wanted to name a climb Holdless Horror and please could this be the one?